I know. I know. I said my next recipe post would be my home-made marinara. But, I just so happened to have whipped this up last night…by accident. Well, more like, by surprise.
I noticed that the red and green peppers that I picked up from the market, recently, needed to be cooked immediately if not sooner. (Has this ever happened to you? When a meal is dictated over meat or produce that is approaching the end of its shelf life?) Well, this is typically how I end up creating some of my best and most original recipes!
Anyway, I ended up frying these peppers, in Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), with garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Wow, did it taste delicious. I used my cast iron skillet which can tolerate some HIGH heat. If you are not afraid of using EVOO, then you are guaranteed a delicious caramelized explosion in your mouth! (My husband prefers this with sausage, of course. But, I appreciate having peppers without the meat, lately.
So, next time you have produce without a purpose in the fridge, just throw it in a skillet with some EVOO, then toss it over your favorite pasta. Or, try this recipe…
Recipe by Rachel Maria
Ingredients (For 1 Pound of Pasta)
2 Red Bell Peppers
2 Green Bell Peppers
2 Cups Mushrooms
1 Large Yellow Onion
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3-5 Cloves of Garlic (The more, the merrier! Cut in quarters)
1 tsp. Salt & Black Pepper
1 Lb. Pasta
Fresh Basil to Garnish
1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth (I mixed 1/2 tsp. vegetable bouillon cube with hot water.)
* Slice peppers as thick as you like, along with mushrooms and onion.
* Heat Olive Oil in a Large skillet to Medium High.
* Saute Garlic for 2 minutes. (Stir and make sure the garlic does not turn brown.)
* Add peppers, onion, salt, and black pepper.
* Cover, but stir intermittently so peppers do not stick. Use a wooden spoon so you can scrape up the tastings from the bottom of the pot.
* After 5 minutes, add onions.
* Cook for at least 10 minutes or until peppers, onion, and mushrooms are soft and browning.
* Pour over pasta in a bowl and mix well. Add more salt and/or Grated Cheese for taste.