Got Allergies? This One is for You!

Fashion & Lifestyle, Health & Fitness

Yesterday, I made a visit to the ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) Doctor. I’ve been so preoccupied with other health symptoms that I hadn’t realized how bad my allergy symptoms were getting. I can’t remember the last time I could breathe through my nose, let alone go through a day without several allergy attacks. Guess you could say, I just couldn’t take it anymore.

After being led from the waiting area to the examining room, I met the nurse who initially asked a few questions and wrote down some notes. I mentioned that I recalled having allergy testing done a while ago, but I couldn’t remember how many years had past. Since then, I had been taking prescription allergy meds on a daily basis, and simply requesting adjustments accordingly from my primary care physician. I also shared how I had lived at a beach for almost 2 years and the salt air perhaps kept my symptoms at bay.

It turns out, it had been 5 years since I last visited my ENT Doctor. I had allergy testing performed on me which resulted in several reactions and discoveries. I just couldn’t remember all of them. What I did remember was that back then, I was too busy with work to include a weekly “injections” routine to help cure the symptoms. As she reviewed the results (from 2009), she reminded me that I was badly allergic to grass, mold, dander, and FEATHERS.



So, of course I’m thinking… Well thank God I don’t live on a farm with chickens.

So then, she informs me that she is going to prep my sinuses by squirting something up my nose.  Now, I am not very fond of things being placed up…inside of my HEAD. (You know…like pointy medical instruments and spray bottles.) I just don’t like it. It freaks me out. I’d rather go to the dentist and have drilling performed. NOT KIDDING.

Next thing I know, she is using this tool to shoot a liquid up my nose.  (And no, it wasn’t the same thing as a simple nasal spray.) I was squeezing my eyes shut, and of course, my body was extremely tense.  I must have wiggled or something because the next thing I realize…this liquid…NUMBING liquid, evidently…is dripping into my mouth and on my tongue.

I suddenly taste this awful stingy substance…and my mouth felt as if it was losing all feeling and swelling!

“Wasth that thupposthed to happen?”

“Um…not really. Never happened before. But, you’ll be fine.”

“Oh I’m stho sthorry!”  

After she left, I was sitting there…touching my lips trying to discern if they were as swollen as they felt.  Meanwhile, I began to peruse the room looking for I don’t know what…and spotted this!


Oh, my. WHAT!? God please help me.  

At that point, the doctor walks in.

“How’s it going?”

“My Thinusthes are sthoo bad. Oh, and the nursth…she sthprayed that sthtuff up my noseth…and my mousth feelsth sthwollen.”

“Never mind that. You’ll be fine….Ok, so let’s take a look inside to see what’s going on. OK?”

“Um, I get a bit sthquirmy.”

“You’ll be fine.”

I’ll spare the details on the next 30 seconds…which felt like 5 minutes of AWFULNESS.   

After it was over, I felt so relieved. Happy to be one step closer to RELIEF.

Turns out, I have a deviated septum. I had this corrected years ago, and so I didn’t realize that it was still an issue (or possibly a newly developed issue). Also, my sinuses were very swollen and congested, which was the main culprit.

My doctor recommended 5 days of a steroid to at least help relieve the main symptoms.

“What are the sthide affectsth of the stheroidsth?” (Now my thoughts of feathers convert to facial hairs.)  

“Oh, nothing. You’re only on them for a few days.”  Ok,” I thought, “I can do that.”

“Continue your allergy medicine and try this new nasal spray. It works better than most.”

“Alrighty then.”

“Also, I  want you to flush out your sinuses…daily…with a Neti Pot.”


“A Neti Pot. I’ll leave the information for you with the nurse. If this doesn’t work in a few weeks, you should come back to get an updated allergy test and consider doing weekly injections.”

I was satisfied with most of his recommendations. I totally don’t mind needles if it comes to that. When I went through infertility treatments, Scott had to give me needles in my belly and my legs. I would do that any day over placing instruments up my nose!  “You know what doc…I’m sthooo desthperate for relief…I am going to do everything you are sthaying!”

And, I resolved to do just that.  

Later that day, as I was driving my sister, Gabrielle, to her Special Needs Program, guess what i see…floating in the air around my head? A FEATHER!

What on earth?

And, then it dawned on me! DUH! I have feathers in my coat. I have feathers in my down comfortor at home. I have feathers in my couch pillows and throw blanket. I am surrounded by feathers!

I warned you that I can be a ding bat, at times.

Anyway, when I got home last night, I did everything I promised my doctor.

I started taking the steroids. (Coincidently, I had my first effective workout at the gym in days.) I removed all feather items around the house. And guess what? I used a neti-pot for the first time EVER, last night! I am so proud of myself. I actually poured water into my nostrils! Which came out the other side. I gagged a little, and it was not fun. But, I said I was going to do it…and I did it.  So far, I am beginning to feel somewhat better!

Here is a picture of the Neti Pot.  Sorry, no pics of me using it. I’m not ready for that. But I will say,  it WORKS!



Be Sociable, Share!

There are no comments, add yours